Introduction to Service Design Training
At Stanford, we all provide many services to our community of students, faculty, and staff. Service Design is a human-centered design approach to creating good service experiences. In this training, you will learn the core concepts and methods of Service Design through an interactive, hands-on course.
- The course is offered over zoom and consists of three, 3-hour sessions (9 hours of teaching time total), spread over two weeks.
- Individuals or teams can participate and will be choosing a real-life service from their work to use throughout the course.
- An introduction to Service Design (Lecture)
- Know your users (Build empathy by creating Personas)
- User interviews (Participants plan for user interviews)
Homework between sessions 1 and 2: Interview your users
- Journey Mapping (participants create journey maps from interviews)
- Service Blueprinting (participants map the backstage processes, systems, and people involved in delivering the service)
- Harvesting Opportunities (participants identify opportunity areas for service improvement)
- Ideation (Participants brainstorm using “How might we” statements, and evaluate ideas using a 2x2 framework to prioritize)
- Action Planning (students create action plans to move forward with their ideas for improvement)
Who it’s for
This class can benefit people in many roles, including but not at all limited to:
- Service managers/owners, product managers/owners
- Staff delivering front-line service to their constituents
- Staff who are part of service delivery (developers, managers, individual contributors)
How to sign up
The total training cost for Introduction to Service Design is $300 per person, is STAP eligible and is offered through enrollment in STARS. Session dates are:
- Session 1 - FY24 Date to be determined - 9:00 am - 12 noon
- Session 2 - FY24 Date to be determined - 9:00 am - 12 noon
- Session 3 - FY24 Date to be determined - 9:00 am - 12 noon
If you have any questions or you are interested in organizing this training for just your team, get in touch via our contact form.